Our role at the Academy is to develop your child into a confident swimmer, ready to progress into club swimming or any other aquatic discipline that they enjoy. We offer a seamless progression from babies through to pre club level, in both group lessons or 1-2-1. Our lessons take a ‘swimmer led’ approach, to ensure that we look after both the person and the performer. We focus on using sport not just to build swimmers, but to help young people build skills for life that will see them excel outside the pool.
We have designed our program to allow your child to gain confidence, learn self-evaluation and reflection, promote the importance of teamwork and supporting others, as well as help them to develop great social and communication skills.
Adult & Child (Under 3's) Awards
The Discovery Duckling Awards are the start of the learn to swim experience for all children. These awards are perfect for babies, toddlers and pre-school children who are new to swimming lessons.
There are 4 stages in the Discovery Duckling Awards that will allow the children to gain water confidence and learn basic water skills such as floating while staying close to adult support.
Throughout the Under 3’s journey, there are several ‘I DID IT!’ awards to gain for achieving specific water based skills:
- I splashed water on my face
- I put my head under water
- I blew bubbles on top of the water
- I blew bubbles under the water
- I swam under water with help
- I swam under water by myself
- I travelled through the water on my front and back with help
- I travelled through the water with help for 5m
- I travelled through the water by myself for 5m
- I floated on my front/back with help
- I floated on my front/back by myself
- I turned around with help
- I turned around by myself
- I flipped over with help
- I flipped over by myself
- I travelled along holding onto the wall for 5m with help
- I travelled along holding onto the wall for 5m by myself
- I jumped in to the water with help
- I jumped in to the water by myself
- I jumped in and returned to the wall
- I jumped in and did a star float
- I entered/exited safely
There are 6 wellbeing awards to be gained at the Under 3’s stage. Each of these awards focuses on building relationships and personal skills for the little ones! Here are the awards and the criteria for gaining them:
- My Adult & Me – You have shown a mutual trust and respect for each other in the water.
- My Teacher & Me – You have shown confidence to explore the pool with your teacher.
- My Friends & Me – You have shown that you are able to participate and share with your class mates in your lesson.
- Happy Swimmer – You have shown that you are content and confident in learning new skills in the water.
- Little Explorer – You have shown that you are adventurous and excited to learn new things.
- Independent Swimmer – You have shown that you are happy to explore the pool and try new things without your adult.
Learn To Swim Performance Stages
In this class children will work on building their water confidence and independence both with and without the use of buoyancy aids over a distance of up to 5m swimming on their front and back.
We will introduce self awareness of the fundamental movements and encourage swimmers to communicate how they feel in the water. They will work towards achieving stages 1 & 2 of the national governing body awards at this stage.
Building on previous learning, in this class children will work towards completing 10metres independently in front-crawl, back-crawl full stroke, breaststroke and butterfly kick. Transferable aquatic skills are also introduced such as sculling, rotation and the putting together of sequences.
We will encourage the swimmers to feedback on their learning and to be more aware of how their body moves in the water. Children will work towards achieving stages 3 & 4 of the national governing body awards at this stage.
In our improver classes, children will continue to perfect their techniques in all 4 stokes over increasing distances and in deeper water (venue permitting), as well as introduce personal survival skills.
We will encourage swimmers to self reflect and evaluate their performance. Children can achieve stages 5 & 6 of the national governing body awards at this stage.
Our advanced class is designed for children who wish to prepare for club swimming or for those who simply love keeping active in the water! Strokes will become more efficient over greater distances and aquatic skills and drills will become more complex. Competitive swimming skills will also be introduced.
We will encourage swimmers to feedback on their performances, offer suggestions for improvement and to become great team mates! Children can achieve stages 7-10 of the national governing body awards at this stage.
Wellbeing Awards (Over 3's)
You will earn this award when you have shown belief and trust in yourself when taking on new challenges!
You will earn this award when you have shown that you value and respect yourself and know that you deserve to ‘Own Your Journey’!
You will earn this award when you have shown good communication, trust and emotional support when nurturing new relationships!
You will earn this award when you have shown that you can take responsibility for your own actions and have learned to do things for yourself!
You will earn this award when you have shown that you can stay positive and keep going in challenging situations!
You will earn this award when you have shown initiative in your learning and excitement to learn new skills!
You will earn this award when you have shown motivation, focus and enthusiasm in your learning!
You will earn this award when you have shown that you can accept your challenges along with your victories as well as celebrate others!